registered psychologist / sexual health educator
Hi, I’m Jill. I am a registered psychologist and sexual health educator working in Calgary, Alberta.
My approach is strength-based, inclusive, and client-centered. I have experience with cognitive behavior therapy, functional family therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, solution focused brief therapy, motivational interviewing, and mindfulness. I believe people exist within a context (family, school, church, community) – and working toward solutions involves both individuals and communities.
Please note: I am not currently accepting new clients until April, 2019. If you would like a list of folks I refer to, please contact me. Thank you!
Background + Experience
I have a masters degree in counselling psychology and my training has included comprehensive training in issues related to sexuality. My other work experience has included:
- Frontline youth work
- Functional family therapy
- Inpatient addictions treatment
- University instructor
- Sermons and lectures at various Christian institutions
- Panel member at community events including Fairy Tales Queer Film Festival
- Volunteer roles in community programs including Camp Fyrefly, Alberta Health Services, and Green Calgary
Professional Development + Training
- CCASA, First Responder to Sexual Assault and Abuse Training, Calgary, AB
- Stephanie Covington, Addiction-Trauma Connection: Spirals of Recovery and Healing, Calgary, AB
- Stephanie Covington, Beyond Trauma: A Healing Journey for Women, Calgary, AB
- Functional Family Therapy – New Haven, CT
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy: From Theory to Practice – Calgary, AB
- Motivational Interviewing Training – Calgary, AB
- Same-Sex Domestic Violence Workshop – Calgary, AB
- Crucible Institute – Passionate Marriage Clinical Workshop – San Francisco, CA
Empowerment and knowledge rather than secrecy, shame and guilt.
Tharseo is an ancient Greek word meaning “to have courage, be hopeful, be bold”.
I believe it takes a lot of courage to reach out and connect with mental health professionals. I want to honour that courage in my practice.
Outcomes & Shared Goals
Tharseo's goals are two-fold:
Provide counselling services to individuals (youth 12+ and adults), families and groups.
Provide nonjudgemental training, workshops, and community programs regarding sexuality and/or spirituality to organizations working with people.